Saturday, January 28, 2017

Everybody was stomach flu fighting....

So far 2017 in our household has mostly consisted of at least one person under quarantine due to norovirus! We're over it now but still feeling a bit fragile - my eldest has even developed secondary lactose intolerance while he recovers.

So, this mama bear has been hunting down ways to get her bear cubs back to full health and I've found some real gems that I want to share. In fact, what I've discovered is likely to transform how our family eats. (Don't you just love how God brings good things out of bad?!). I've discovered all kinds of more traditional ways to cook that are so much healthier than the processed stuff we buy (and cheaper too!). It makes me wish I'd known my grandmothers and learned to cook from them. And it makes me wonder if our more "developed" western culture has actually taken massive steps backwards in how we approach food and food preparation.

What did I find?

BONE BROTH - ever wonder why people talk about giving chicken soup to someone who is sick? This is why. It's really simple to make and has loads of health benefits, including healing your gut after a sickness bug. I've been to the butcher to get some bones and they're currently simmering in my slow cooker with some onions and a carrot. Maybe in a future post I'll share my results and any tips.

LACTO-FERMENTATION - lacto what?! Sounds like a science experiment I know. Basically, it's the process used to make yoghurt but can also be used to make all kinds of other probiotic foods too (like probiotic lemonade, saukraut, mayonnaise, chutneys, ketchup - yes, healthy ketchup!)

So now I'm all excited to try these new recipes. I'm excited by how simple they are, excited to see the health benefits and excited how much money we will save by making things at home. This week I'm going to be making yoghurt, cream cheese and lemonade. I'll let you know how it goes and plan on posting my idiots guide to yoghurt making in the near future. Watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment