Sunday, July 05, 2015

Feeding time at the zoo

 Our family are at a stage where, when it comes to dinner, it's difficult to balance everyone's needs. The kids need to eat early to get to bed, I prefer to eat later without kids interrupting and hubby may or may not even be home for dinner if he's working a late shift. Add to that the fact that little miss A is still on a low salt and low sugar diet, hubby is a raging carnivore and little J would live off pasta if he could and you'll see it's far from straight forward.

This week I feel like I'm finally getting the hang of it thanks to my slow cooker and some great one pot meals. I love that the slow cooker allows me to throw dinner together while little J is at preschool and little miss A is napping and by the time the kids need dinner it's ready and waiting, still hot when me and hubby want to eat and even produces enough leftovers for hubby to take to work on a late shift.

So far this week I've used the slow cooker to make chilli con carne, an amazing beef stroganoff and a chicken and sweet potato curry. Another favourite of mine is Dr pepper stew and another day when I have more time I'll share the recipe with you.

Today I want to share with you a great easy recipe that doesn't even need a slow cooker. The ingredients are simple and the prep work was so easy I was able to chop the veg while the kids ate their dinner.

Quick chicken casserole

Grab yourself a good size casserole dish and then add:

4/5 new potatoes, halved
2 carrots, sliced
3 shallots, quartered
4 chicken pieces (thighs, legs, breast...whatever you prefer)
500ml chicken stock (I use boots baby stock cubes - suitable from 7 months and great flavour)

Place the casserole dish on the hob and simmer for 20 mins. Add a cup of frozen peas and simmer for another 5-10 mins. Finally, add some tarragon and stir in 1-2 tablespoons of creme fraiche.

Hey presto, dinner is ready!

I was able to leave dinner to cook while I got the kids in bed and have it ready just as soon as hubby and I were ready to eat. There was just enough leftover to save some for little J to eat the next day and purée some for little miss A. Best of all, only one dirty dish! Everyone's a winner :)

No comments:

Post a Comment